Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oatmeal

So, tonight, instead of making my children a nice, healthy meal, I opted for some good ol' fashioned comfort food (i.e. food that takes me 22 seconds to prepare...what a comfort :) As it is freezing cold in south Mississippi (evidently, no one informed Mother Nature that Al Gore is making a fortune hollering "man-made global warming"), I decided to make oatmeal and toast (my favorite).
Every time I make oatmeal, I think back to when I was a young, blushing bride who decided to make a "delicious" breakfast for my new spouse. I got out Mr. Quaker and cooked it up just like Mom did and was positively giddy imagining the ooh's and aaah's Joe would make when he tasted the buttery goodness that is my Mother's oatmeal. Unfortunately, when it was served, we both went yuck-o and I rushed to the phone and DEMANDED that my Mother spill the beans on how to make her famous oatmeal. My mother waited patiently as I explained that I added the oatmeal to the boiling water, placed a teaspoon of sugar and a pat of butter in the pot and then served it. "Kerry," my mother gently explained, "I add a CUP of sugar and a CUBE of butter, honey. Now run along and make you up some REAL oatmeal."
So, now you see why oatmeal at my house is such a rare treat. I make it properly, just like my Mom and we enjoy a cholesterol laden meal...Thank you very much. I know, I know, I'm supposed to say that adding Splenda and Heart Smart margarine is "just as good," but anyone who knows me knows that I'm a terrible liar so...
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment