Monday, February 1, 2010

Once upon a tacky Topiary




I bought these cute topiaries forever ago when we lived in Niceville, FL. We were fresh out of law school and on a super tight budget...I think I got them on clearance for 2.50 a piece. I loved them back then but over the years, they've gotten that hum drum quality about them (note the green pots that now drive me nuts). I've been busy wasting precious time on blogs such as shanty2chic and tipjunkie.com and have gotten some serious inspiration. I painted the ugly green right off of them, took out the craptastic moss and replaced it with river rocks from the Dollar Tree (I like that store, I'm not gonna lie) and put a super cute bow on it. I think it turned out much cuter!!
Now I want to rant about the supposed frugality of crafting your own stuff. When I read all these blogs about "how cheap" it is to repurpose old things into new things, these craftaholics fail to mention that they already have the paint, the sandpaper, the river rocks, the wood, etc. on hand. They've been crafting so long, they forgot that they actually had to make a purchase at some point to buy all the supplies that us newbies don't already have. Anyway, all my repurposing hasn't been cheap and I wanted to warn any of ya'll who want to join in the crafting craze. It sure has been fun, though, so start blazin' your own creative trail and join in the fun!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Crafting can be very expensive when you are first starting out, and depending on what your project is, it can be more expensive than buying ready made. I think the real point of crafting should be the satisfaction of making something with your own two hands. I remember in Young Women some of the older Relief Society ladies trying (note- trying)to teach us how to quilt. There was a certain satisfaction in sleeping under something that I had made with my own two hands.

    ReplyDelete